Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Toy Organization!!!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Well, the holidays are officially over.  I took down all of our Christmas decorations and now my house looks clean and simple again.  The first thing on my "Mission Organization" list was our bonus room.  This room is technically the playroom as in all of the kid's toys are up there, but it's also where the hubs and I end each day watching TV or surfing the internet.  The triplets are all still in the same room so there is nowhere to store any toys in there and as a result the toys were really starting to take over the space.  I had no idea how to keep everything organized so we ended up having piles and piles of toys and bins that were completely overflowing.  We really wanted to teach the kids to help out by cleaning up each night before bed, but it was so hard since there was really no rhyme or reason to the organization of the toys.  Then, the kids had a birthday on December 13th and received tons of new toys and then with Christmas.....let's just say that I've seen episodes of Hoarders that looked better than this room.  Something had to be done or this momma was going to lose it!  

My father in law is in the restaurant supply business and said that he could get me a shelving unit and could position  the racks to any height that I needed.  I went to Target and picked up several canvas bins and some large tubs.  I had no idea how to label the bins so I went to Hobby Lobby to see if I could find some inspiration.  I found these packs of wood pieces, 5 in a pack for $1.99.  Then I picked up some colorful ribbon, chalkboard paint, and chalk markers.  



I had my stepdad drill two holes into each piece.  I didn't measure anything, just eyeballed it.  Then we spray painted them with the chalkboard paint.  


And, here is what I ended up with!!!  


It's huge and may not be the prettiest thing to look at, but it makes perfect sense for us!


For the tubs I just used peel and stick chalkboard vinyl.  
(You can find it in the children's section at Michael's)  



Every single toy now has a home!!!  Now, when the kids want to play with toys we take down one bin at a time.  Then, when they want to move onto other toys, we pick up the toys that are out and get down another bin.  It's also so helpful to anyone else who may come over to keep the kids...no more wondering where things go!  It has honestly worked out so well!  Not only is there no more clutter of toys taking up every square inch of the room, the kids seem to be really enjoying and playing with their toys where before I think they were just too overwhelmed.  

I have more ideas for this room so stay tuned!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this looks soo good! We are trying to work out something for our bonus room right now too. It has been taken over by wooden train tracks-ugh! Right now that space houses our exercise equipment, big screen TV, all gaming devices, the crummiest futon on Earth and toys, glorious toys! We definitely need help in that space. There isn't room for what you did heightwise, but I like the bin idea. I'm thinking my Little Guy will like putting things in the big bins too. hmmm....
    thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE and appreciate your comments! Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...